Acids are used in many cosmetic treatments, whether in the form of lotions, creams, gels and other. However, you need to know how to use them, since each one has a specific function or is more suitable for any type of treatment.In addition, there are people who may be susceptible to some substances and cannot take advantage of its benefits, but there are always alternatives.
- Salicylic acid has antimicrobial properties and scrubs, why, is present in the composition of numerous products that promote the thinning of the skin. In this way, the substance is effective in treating skin peeling caused by acne, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and ichthyosis. Another of its benefits is to control the oiliness of the skin, thanks to its astringent property, besides having a powerful hydrating action. The active ingredient of the substance is salicin, which was originally extracted from willow.
- For the treatment of acne salicylic acid can be used in the form of lotions, tonics, soaps, gels and fluid emulsions when acts as anti-inflammatory, eliminating also the skin blackheads. In these cases, the recommended is that their concentration is between 0.5 to 2%, and the products that fight acne tend to combine this with other substances. Who does the treatment component, however, must follow medical advice and use the product even after the acne disappear, because it takes a prolonged use so that the results are long lasting.
- Salicylic acid is also used in products with anti-ageing action, since it reduces expression lines and wrinkles. In this sense, cause less irritation than other acids that are used for the same purpose. In the case of peelings, the concentration of the substance must be between 20 and 50%. Since products with salicylic acid can cause damage to the skin when handled wrongly, the best treatment is accompanied by a trained operative.
- In general, this acid cannot be applied on the skin more than once a week, otherwise, it is common that cause reddish spots, in addition to crusts and dryness in the skin. It is therefore important, before using a product that contains, make sure that the person is not sensitive to the substance, which is relatively common. In more severe cases, the use of the product can cause tachycardia, pain in the abdomen, dizziness, hearing loss, and problems in the central nervous system.
- If it wasn’t done the test substance and the person if gas with the product is of utmost importance to be forwarded as soon as possible to the hospital. In this case, the treatment for intoxication is done through oral or injectable steroids, according to the severity of the reaction and dermatologist’s recommendations. Other care that the person must have from then on is to avoid exposure to the sun, using sunscreen, sunglasses and hats, in order to avoid more bruises and burns on the skin.
- Who is allergic to salicylic acid can use alternatively the mandelic acid. Still, it’s important to seek medical help to prevent allergic reactions. Pregnant women should also talk with your doctor before using any product, including acids, since a large part of them is inappropriate for gestation periods, a time that can cross the placenta and reach the fetus, putting their health at risk.