Useless to make fake alarmism: luckily not all in are dangerous! Accurate prevention, with self-examination and regular visits to the dermatologist, helps to recognize suspicious moles and early diagnosis of serious diseases like melanoma.
Many in can be unsightly or annoying because of their location or their size, but only in a few cases are really take off. However to understand whether we have at risk is essential both to learn how to do a self-screening of our body either undergo dermatological visits regularly.
As we have already explained the criteria to determine if a Mole is at risk are to assess changes in the appearance, shape and color. Should be monitored closely, even large or skin lesions with jagged edges. This is the basic prevention against the dangerous: a few simple steps that each of us can do regularly directly at home.
But How to recognize really a mole dangerous? Moles that can potentially develop into melanoma often have one of these features:
- they grow very quickly
- are present from birth but have large size
- have a color very dark or whitish-pink atypical:
- because of their location, for example because they are under the sole of the foot, tend to suffer repeated trauma or injury.
The self-examination in must be done at least once every three months and, in order to be truly effective, must follow some simple rules:
- must run in a well lit room and in front of a mirror;
- We must monitor the entire surface of the body, even hidden areas such as ears, mouth and eyes, scalp, the spaces between your fingers, genitals and Perianal area;
- with the help of a second mirror must be checked with care even the back of the body;
- We must be particularly careful to the areas most at risk for the development of melanomas: face, arms and legs for women, shoulders and chest for humans.
The second step is to be tested once a year at a visit to dermatology. Needless to say: the eye of a physician specialist is definitely our most experienced and may monitor our snows with greater critical sense. Everyone should undergo a specialized control of moles, but particularly those at risk:
- Cases of melanoma in family
- Fair skin and/or freckles
- Episodes of sunburn during childhood
- In the numerous and/or at risk
In all these cases the chance of developing melanoma increases and, as this type of skin malignant tumor fortunately can be cured with early prevention, it is important to diagnose it at an early stage to avoid serious complications that can endanger their lives.
In the presence of a suspect the first inspection conducted by the dermatologist is dermoscopy, the evaluation of the lesion with a special magnifying glass that allows to evaluate closely the shape of a dangerous and its color. In this way the doctor manages to discriminate fairly accurate between a melanocytic naevus melanocytic or not and may require a surgical excision only really at risk. In people who have a lot of snow is also useful mapping, which can now be also recorded on digital media, in order to monitor any changes.