De Witt, Arkansas
According to 800zipcodes, De Witt, Arkansas is a small city located in the center of Arkansas. It has a population of around 5,000 people and covers an area of 3.3 square miles. Geographically, De Witt sits in the Arkansas Delta region, just south of the Arkansas River. This flat terrain is covered mostly with agricultural fields and forests, making it ideal for outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing.
The climate in De Witt is humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters. The summers are typically long and hot with temperatures reaching into the 90s while winters are short and mild with temperatures rarely dipping below freezing. The average rainfall in De Witt is over 50 inches per year giving it plenty of moisture for its lush vegetation.
De Witt has a rich history that dates back to 1887 when it was first incorporated as a town by local farmers who had settled there after the Civil War. The city’s economy was once heavily reliant on agriculture but has since diversified to include manufacturing and retail businesses as well as tourism due to its proximity to Little Rock, the state capital.
Politically, De Witt leans heavily towards Republican candidates at both local and state level elections. This can be attributed to its rural location which tends to favor conservative policies such as limited government intervention in business affairs and lower taxes on individuals and businesses alike.
De Witt offers several public schools within its city limits including a high school, middle school, elementary school, and pre-schools for younger children. These schools provide students with access to quality education options so they can prepare for college or enter the workforce upon graduation from high school.
Finally, De Witt also boasts several landmarks that make it unique from other cities in Arkansas such as the historic Courthouse Square which features buildings from the 19th century including an old jailhouse; Cane Creek Park which offers outdoor recreational activities such as fishing; Stuttgart Lake which is great for swimming; White County Historical Museum; White County Fairgrounds; White River Wildlife Refuge; Blytheville Air Force Base; and many more attractions that make De Witt an interesting place to visit or live!
Population: 3,552. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,414 (-3.9% change)
Males: 1,654 (46.6%), Females: 1,898 (53.4%)
Zip code: 72042
Median resident age: 38.8 years
Median household income: $22,545
Median house value: $46,100
Races in De Witt:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.6%)
- Black (20.9%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (13.6%), Irish (7.3%), German (7.0%), English (5.6%), French (1.7%), Scottish (1.4%).
Elevation: 190 feet
Land area: 2.6 square miles
De Witt, Arkansas is a small town with a population of approximately 3,500 people. It is located in Arkansas County, close to the Mississippi River. The majority of the population consists of white Americans, making up 87% of the population. African Americans make up 8% and Hispanic or Latino Americans make up 3%. The median age in De Witt is 37 years old and the median household income is $40,000. Education levels are higher than average with 90% of adults having at least a high school diploma or equivalent.
The economic activity in De Witt is mainly centered around agriculture and related industries such as food processing and storage. The area’s major employers include Tyson Foods, DeWitt Farms and the local government. Other businesses include retail stores, restaurants and service industries such as healthcare and education. In addition to this, there are several small businesses that provide services for local residents such as auto repair shops, beauty salons and dry cleaners. Despite its small size, De Witt provides its residents with many amenities from medical care to entertainment options such as movie theatres and parks for outdoor activities.
For population 25 years and over in De Witt
- High school or higher: 66.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in De Witt city
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 12.1%
- Divorced: 13.9%
0.1% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -106 (-2.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near De Witt:
- DEWITT HOSPITAL & NURSING HOME INC (about 1 miles; DEWITT, AR)
- STUTTGART REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; STUTTGART, AR)
- DELTA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; DUMAS, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to De Witt:
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 62 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: GLH)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 68 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 70 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: LRF)
Other public-use airports nearest to De Witt:
- DE WITT MUNI (about 4 miles; DE WITT, AR; Abbreviation: 5M1)
- ALMYRA MUNI (about 11 miles; ALMYRA, AR; Abbreviation: M73)
- HOLLY GROVE MUNI (about 23 miles; HOLLY GROVE, AR; Abbreviation: 2A6)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to De Witt:
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 43 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 59 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 68 miles; BEEBE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,840)
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; SEARCY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,959)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK (about 76 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,024)
- MISSISSIPPI DELTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 83 miles; MOORHEAD, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)