Guerneville is located in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, California, and has a population of approximately 4,500 people. The geography of Guerneville is mostly comprised of rolling hills and densely forested areas. The climate in this area is mild and temperate with warm summers and cooler winters. Rainfall is plentiful in the winter months. Check ehangzhou.org for best time to travel to California.
The history of Guerneville dates back to the 1860s when it was called Guerneville after its founder, Jacob Guerne. In the late 19th century, it became a popular destination for wealthy San Franciscans who built large vacation homes along the river banks. Politics in Guerneville are mainly Democratic-leaning with most residents voting for progressive candidates.
The economy in Guerneville relies heavily on tourism with many visitors coming to enjoy activities such as wine tasting, fishing, kayaking, hiking and camping. There are also several businesses that cater to tourists such as restaurants, shops and lodging establishments. Schools in Guerneville are part of the West Sonoma County Union High School District which includes two high schools and four elementary schools.
Some landmarks that can be found around town include Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve where you can explore ancient redwood groves, Johnson’s Beach which offers swimming, boating and picnicking opportunities along the riverfront, The Big Rock Hole which is an old swimming hole off Highway 116 that has been used by locals for generations as well as other attractions like churches, museums and galleries.
Males: 1,270 (52.0%), Females: 1,171 (48.0%)
Zip code: 95446
Median resident age: 41.5 years
Median household income: $37,266
Median house value: $231,100
Races in Guerneville:
- White Non-Hispanic (80.2%)
- Hispanic (14.5%)
- Two or more races (5.5%)
- Other race (4.5%)
- American Indian (3.9%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (22.9%), German (17.6%), English (16.5%), Italian (9.7%), Scottish (6.6%), Russian (4.2%).
Elevation: 56 feet
Land area: 3.3 square miles
Guerneville, California is a small town located in Sonoma County and has a population of around 4,500 people. It is nestled in the Russian River Valley and is known for its redwood forests, wineries, and apple orchards. The town was founded in the late 1800s by Captain E.W. Guerne, who named it after himself. The majority of the population is white (87%), followed by Hispanic (7%), African American (2%), Asian (2%) and other ethnicities (2%). The median age of residents is 44 years old with slightly more females than males.
The town has a strong sense of community supported by locally owned businesses like restaurants, cafes, and shops. There are also several recreational activities available to locals such as fishing, kayaking, biking and hiking on the nearby trails in Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve. The town also hosts several annual events like the Apple Blossom Festival which celebrates local agriculture and brings visitors from all over to enjoy food vendors and live music performances. In addition to these events, Guerneville also holds an annual Russian River Jazz & Blues Festival which features some of the best jazz musicians from around the world!
For population 25 years and over in Guerneville
- High school or higher: 88.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 29.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.0%
- Unemployed: 7.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Guerneville CDP
- Never married: 40.2%
- Now married: 26.9%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 20.3%
6.5% Foreign born (4.1% Latin America, 1.4% Europe, 0.9% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Guerneville:
- HEALDSBURG GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; HEALDSBURG, CA)
- PALM DRIVE HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; SEBASTOPOL, CA)
- KAISER FOUNDATION HOSPITAL-SANTA ROSA (about 17 miles; SANTA ROSA, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Guerneville:
- SONOMA COUNTY (about 14 miles; SANTA ROSA, CA; Abbreviation: STS)
- BUCHANAN FIELD (about 75 miles; CONCORD, CA; Abbreviation: CCR)
- SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL (about 75 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Abbreviation: SFO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Guerneville:
- HEALDSBURG MUNI (about 13 miles; HEALDSBURG, CA; Abbreviation: O31)
- CLOVERDALE MUNI (about 18 miles; CLOVERDALE, CA; Abbreviation: O60)
- PETALUMA MUNI (about 33 miles; PETALUMA, CA; Abbreviation: O69)
Amtrak stations near Guerneville:
- 12 miles: HEALDSBURG (HEALDSBURG AVE. & MATHESON ST.) – Bus Station
- 20 miles: SANTA ROSA (175 RAILROAD ST.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Guerneville:
- SANTA ROSA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 18 miles; SANTA ROSA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 13,542)
- SONOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; ROHNERT PARK, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,445)
- MENDOCINO COLLEGE (about 47 miles; UKIAH, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,080)
- NAPA VALLEY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; NAPA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,558)
- COLLEGE OF MARIN (about 50 miles; KENTFIELD, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,919)
- CONTRA COSTA COLLEGE (about 59 miles; SAN PABLO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,626)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-SAN FRANCISCO (about 63 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,517)
Public primary/middle school in Guerneville:
- GUERNEVILLE ELEMENTARY (Students: 371; Location: 14630 ARMSTRONG WOODS ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)