Hebron, Maryland is a small town of about 2,000 people located in the heart of Wicomico County. It lies along the banks of the Nanticoke River, and is bordered by the Chesapeake Bay to its east. The climate in Hebron ranges from warm summers to chilly winters. Average temperatures range from highs of 80 degrees Fahrenheit in July to lows of 25 degrees Fahrenheit in January. Check ehangzhou for best time to travel to Maryland.
Hebron has a rich history dating back over 200 years, when it was first established as a farming community. The town was incorporated as Hebron in 1851 and was home to many prominent families throughout its history. During the Civil War, Hebron was a major stop on the Underground Railroad which helped southern slaves escape to freedom.
Politically, Hebron is part of Wicomico County and is represented by two delegates and one senator in Maryland’s General Assembly. The town also has its own mayor and town council who make decisions regarding local ordinances and laws.
The economy of Hebron is largely dependent on agriculture, with most residents working on local farms or related businesses such as food processing or agricultural services. There are also several small businesses located within the town limits that provide jobs for locals including restaurants, convenience stores, auto repair shops, and more.
Education-wise there are several schools located near Hebron including Wicomico Middle School, Salisbury Christian School K-12 Academy, Salisbury University (SU), Wor-Wic Community College (WWCC), and Chesapeake College (CC). All these schools provide educational opportunities for students living in or near Hebron.
The most notable landmark in Hebron is the Nanticoke River Bridge which spans across the river connecting Maryland’s Eastern Shore with Delaware’s western shoreline. This bridge has been standing since 1923 and provides an important connection between both states for travelers going back and forth between them.
Population: 807. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,022 (+26.6% change)
Males: 394 (48.8%), Females: 413 (51.2%)
Zip code: 21830
Median resident age: 32.2 years
Median household income: $36,750
Median house value: $74,100
Races in Hebron:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.0%)
- Black (11.6%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
- Other race (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (19.3%), United States (16.2%), Irish (14.7%), German (10.0%), Italian (3.6%), Scottish (2.2%).
Elevation: 43 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Hebron, Maryland is a small town located in the northeastern part of the state. It has a population of approximately 2,500 people and is a great place to live. The median household income in Hebron is around $45,000, which is lower than the national average. The cost of living in Hebron is also relatively low compared to other towns and cities in the area. Housing costs are very reasonable with median home values being around $200,000 and rental prices averaging around $1,000 per month. There are plenty of shopping options available and plenty of restaurants to choose from as well. Groceries tend to be slightly more expensive than other areas due to their proximity to major cities like Baltimore and Philadelphia. Overall, living in Hebron can be an affordable option for those looking for a quiet place to call home with all the amenities of a larger city nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Hebron
- High school or higher: 86.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hebron town
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 54.4%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 15.5%
1.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +62 (+8.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hebron:
- DEER’S HEAD CENTER (about 5 miles; SALISBURY, MD)
- HEALTHSOUTH CHESAPEAKE REHAB HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; SALISBURY, MD)
- PENINSULA GENL HOSP (about 7 miles; SALISBURY, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hebron:
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 15 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
- DOVER AFB (about 51 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 86 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hebron:
- BENNETT (about 7 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: 1N5)
- LAUREL (about 11 miles; LAUREL, DE; Abbreviation: N06)
- CAMBRIDGE-DORCHESTER (about 25 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MD; Abbreviation: CGE)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hebron:
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (about 15 miles; PRINCESS ANNE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,940)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE-OWENS (about 28 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (about 67 miles; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,172)
- ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; ARNOLD, MD; Full-time enrollment: 6,467)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 80 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
Public primary/middle school in Hebron:
- WESTSIDE INTERMEDIATE (Students: 412; Location: 8000 QUANTICO RD; Grades: 02 – 05)