According to best-medical-schools, Hesperia, California is situated in the Mojave Desert in the High Desert region of San Bernardino County. The city lies just north of the Cajon Pass and is surrounded by Victorville, Apple Valley, and Adelanto. With an elevation of 3,220 feet, Hesperia has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and mild winters.
The city has a rich history that dates back to the mid-1800s when settlers began homesteading in the area. In 1988, Hesperia was incorporated as a city and today it has grown to become one of the fastest growing cities in California with a population exceeding 90,000 people.
Politically, Hesperia is part of the 33rd Congressional District represented by Congressman Paul Cook. The city is governed by Mayor Russ Blewett and four council members who are elected at large to serve four-year terms.
The economy of Hesperia is largely based on retail trade and manufacturing industries such as furniture production and plastic products. The city also has several educational institutions including public schools, colleges, universities and vocational schools that offer quality education to students from all over San Bernardino County.
Among its landmarks are the Hesperia Lake Park which offers recreational activities like fishing and boating; Mojave Narrows Regional Park which features hiking trails; as well as unique attractions such as Stater Bros Stadium – home of the High Desert Mavericks baseball team – and Route 66 Museum which showcases memorabilia from this historic highway.
Additionally, Hesperia also boasts several golf courses including Green Tree Golf Course; Los Domingo Country Club; Spring Valley Lake Country Club; as well as numerous parks for outdoor activities such as hiking trails at Deep Creek Hot Springs or exploring nature at Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area. Furthermore residents can enjoy shopping malls such as The Mall of Victor Valley or take part in community events held throughout the year such as National Night Out or Community Appreciation Day.
Population: 62,582. Estimated population in July 2020: 77,984 (+24.6% change)
Males: 30,865 (49.3%), Females: 31,717 (50.7%)
San Bernardino County
Zip codes: 92345.
Median resident age: 32.0 years
Median household income: $40,201
Median house value: $95,900
Races in Hesperia:
- White Non-Hispanic (62.4%)
- Hispanic (29.4%)
- Other race (14.5%)
- Two or more races (4.7%)
- Black (4.0%)
- American Indian (2.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (14.5%), Irish (9.8%), English (9.4%), United States (6.3%), Italian (4.1%), French (3.6%).
Elevation: 3191 feet
Land area: 67.3 square miles
Hesperia, California is located in the Mojave Desert and is the largest city in San Bernardino County. As of the 2020 census, the population of Hesperia is 93,295 people. The city has a diverse population with a majority of Caucasians making up 63.6%, followed by Hispanics at 28.7%, African Americans at 4.3%, Asians at 2.2%, and Native Americans at 0.5%. The median household income in Hesperia is $50,837 and the median age is 32 years old. The city is spread out over an area of 94 square miles with an average density of 986 people per square mile. The city has a number of parks and recreational areas including Hesperia Lake Park, Summit Valley Regional Park, and Victor Valley Community Park. Additionally, there are many shopping centers and restaurants that cater to residents’ needs as well as public transportation options like buses and shuttles that make getting around easy for residents. Education wise, Hesperia Unified School District serves the majority of students living in the city with several private schools also available for those looking for more specialized education options.
For population 25 years and over in Hesperia
- High school or higher: 72.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 10.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 39.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hesperia city
- Never married: 24.2%
- Now married: 56.7%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 10.4%
9.8% Foreign born (7.5% Latin America, 1.0% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +11,052 (+21.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hesperia:
- DESERT VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; VICTORVILLE, CA)
- VICTOR VALLEY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; VICTORVILLE, CA)
- ST MARY MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; APPLE VALLEY, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hesperia:
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LOGISTICS (about 13 miles; VICTORVILLE, CA; Abbreviation: VCV)
- SAN BERNARDINO INTERNATIONAL (about 24 miles; SAN BERNARDINO, CA; Abbreviation: SBD)
- ONTARIO INTL (about 33 miles; ONTARIO, CA; Abbreviation: ONT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hesperia:
- HESPERIA (about 4 miles; HESPERIA, CA; Abbreviation: L26)
- APPLE VALLEY (about 14 miles; APPLE VALLEY, CA; Abbreviation: APV)
- RIALTO MUNI /MIRO FLD/ (about 22 miles; RIALTO, CA; Abbreviation: L67)
Amtrak station near Hesperia:
- 9 miles: VICTORVILLE (16858 D ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public payphones, free short-term parking, taxi stand, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hesperia:
- VICTOR VALLEY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; VICTORVILLE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 4,963)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-SAN BERNARDINO (about 16 miles; SAN BERNARDINO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 11,953)
- SAN BERNARDINO VALLEY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; SAN BERNARDINO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,100)
- CHAFFEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 27 miles; RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 7,749)
- UNIVERSITY OF REDLANDS (about 28 miles; REDLANDS, CA; Full-time enrollment: 4,106)
- CRAFTON HILLS COLLEGE (about 32 miles; YUCAIPA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,722)
- RIVERSIDE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; RIVERSIDE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 10,798)
Public high schools in Hesperia:
- SULTANA HIGH (Students: 2,432; Location: 17311 SULTANA AVE.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- HESPERIA HIGH (Students: 2,193; Location: 9898 MAPLE AVE.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MOJAVE HIGH (CONT.) (Students: 250; Location: 16633 LEMON; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CROSSWALK:HESPERIA EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING PATHWAYS (Students: 144; Location: 15817 CACTUS STREET; Grades: 07 – 12)
- HESPERIA COMMUNITY DAY (Students: 23; Location: 16527 LEMON ST.; Grades: 07 – 12)
- OASIS CHARTER ACADEMY (Students: 9; Location: 11988 HESPERIA ROAD, SUITE B; Grades: 07 – 12)
Private high schools in Hesperia:
- HESPERIA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 502; Location: 16775 OLIVE STREET; Grades: PK – 12)
- ASPEN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 36; Location: 15445 VIABAHIA ST; Grades: 1 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Hesperia:
- HESPERIA JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 1,432; Location: 10275 CYPRESS; Grades: 06 – 08)
- RANCHERO MIDDLE (Students: 1,424; Location: 17607 RANCHERO ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- KINGSTON ELEMENTARY (Students: 1,008; Location: 7473 KINGSTON AVE.; Grades: KG – 06)
- LIME STREET ELEMENTARY (Students: 935; Location: 16852 LIME ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
- JOSHUA CIRCLE ELEMENTARY (Students: 812; Location: 10140 EIGHT ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
- COTTONWOOD ELEMENTARY (Students: 758; Location: 8850 COTTONWOOD; Grades: KG – 06)
- EUCALYPTUS ELEMENTARY (Students: 747; Location: 11224 TENTH AVE.; Grades: KG – 06)
- CARMEL ELEMENTARY (Students: 734; Location: 9321 GLENDALE; Grades: KG – 06)
- MESQUITE TRAILS ELEMENTARY (Students: 723; Location: 13884 MESQUITE; Grades: KG – 06)
- JUNIPER ELEMENTARY (Students: 719; Location: 9400 I AVE.; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Hesperia:
- FAITH CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 127; Location: 11616 HESPERIA ROAD; Grades: PK – 8)
- NEW LIFE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 69; Location: 15975 HERCULES RD; Grades: KG – 7)