Little Compton, Rhode Island
According to topschoolsintheusa, Little Compton is located in the southern part of Rhode Island, and it is a rural community with a population of around 6,000 people. It has an area of around 43.2 square miles and is located on a peninsula in Narragansett Bay. The town was founded in 1682 and was originally known as Sacononoco.
The climate in Little Compton varies from humid summers to cold winters, with temperatures ranging from the upper 80s (F) to the low 20s (F). The town experiences moderate rainfall throughout the year, and snowfall during the winter months.
The history of Little Compton is closely intertwined with its politics and economy. During colonial times, Little Compton was home to many prominent families who were involved in local politics and economics; this continued well into the 19th century when the industrial revolution began to make its impact on the area. In modern times, Little Compton has become increasingly politically active, being home to many political offices such as local representatives and senators.
The economy of Little Compton relies heavily on fishing, tourism, agriculture, and small businesses such as retail stores or restaurants. There are also several large employers in town including a hospital, two banks, a university campus, an auto dealership, and other businesses that provide jobs for many residents.
Little Compton has two public schools: Wilbur & McMahon Elementary School (K-6) and Wilbur & McMahon Middle/High School (7-12). Both schools offer excellent educational opportunities for students living in or near Little Compton. There are also several private schools located nearby which offer additional educational opportunities for students seeking more specialized instruction or curriculum options.
Little Compton is home to several notable landmarks including Sakonnet Point Lighthouse which was built in 1883; Colt State Park which features over four miles of bike paths; Stone Bridge which dates back to 1763; Old Stone Mill which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; William Borden Memorial Park which offers stunning views of Narragansett Bay; South Shore Beach; and numerous churches dating back hundreds of years that still stand today as reminders of our rich history.
Population: 3,593. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,587 (-0.2% change)
Males: 1,772 (49.3%), Females: 1,821 (50.7%)
Median resident age: 43.5 years
Median household income: $55,368
Median house value: $228,200
Races in Little Compton:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.0%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (27.6%), Irish (24.5%), Portuguese (14.8%), French (9.3%), Italian (6.8%), German (5.3%).
Elevation: 104 feet
Little Compton, Rhode Island is a small, rural town with a population of approximately 3,400 people. The town is located on the southern coast of the state and is known for its stunning coastline. The median household income in Little Compton is around $87,000, which is higher than the average for Rhode Island. This reflects the higher cost of living in this area due to its popularity as a vacation destination. The median home price in Little Compton is around $710,000, making it one of the most expensive communities in Rhode Island. Renters can expect to pay around $1,500 per month on average for a two-bedroom apartment.
Property taxes are relatively high in Little Compton compared to other parts of Rhode Island due to its popularity as a vacation spot and high property values. Residents with children may find themselves paying more than average due to school taxes as well as property taxes. Transportation costs are also higher than average because there are few public transportation options available and many residents rely on cars or taxis to get around town. All things considered, living in Little Compton can be expensive but many people feel that it’s worth it for the access they have to beaches and other outdoor recreation areas that this small community offers.
For population 25 years and over in Little Compton
- High school or higher: 91.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 45.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 19.2%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Little Compton town
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 61.3%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 9.9%
3.7% Foreign born (2.8% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +243 (+7.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Little Compton:
- NEWPORT HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; NEWPORT, RI)
- DR JOHN C CORRIGAN MENTAL HEALTH CTR (about 15 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
- SOUTHCOAST HOSPITAL GROUP INC (about 15 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Little Compton:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 23 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- MARTHAS VINEYARD (about 41 miles; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Abbreviation: MVY)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 59 miles; BOSTON, MA; Abbreviation: BOS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Little Compton:
- NEWPORT STATE (about 7 miles; NEWPORT, RI; Abbreviation: UUU)
- QUONSET STATE (about 17 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
- NEW BEDFORD REGIONAL (about 19 miles; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: EWB)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Little Compton:
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; FALL RIVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,497)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-DARTMOUTH (about 16 miles; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Full-time enrollment: 6,071)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 24 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 24 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 25 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 7,460)
Public primary/middle school in Little Compton:
- WILBUR & MCMAHON SCHOOLS (Students: 327; Location: 28 COMMONS; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Little Compton:
- BROWNELL LIBRARY, HOME OF LITTLE COMPTON (Operating income: $107,962; Location: 44 COMMONS; 24,878 books; 611 audio materials; 562 video materials; 49 serial subscriptions)