According to 800zipcodes, Mc Kees Rocks is located in the western part of Pennsylvania, approximately seven miles from downtown Pittsburgh. It is situated along the Ohio River and has a population of 6,104 according to the 2010 census. The city is part of Allegheny County and is home to several notable landmarks including the McKees Rocks Bridge, which connects Mc Kees Rocks with Stowe Township.
The geography of Mc Kees Rocks consists mainly of residential areas, with a few commercial districts located near the center of town. The climate in Mc Kees Rocks is fairly mild with warm summers and cold winters. Snowfall averages around 38 inches per year and temperatures range between 35 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year.
Mc Kees Rocks has a rich history that dates back to 1764 when it was first established as a trading post by William McKee. During the industrial revolution, it became an important manufacturing hub for steel production and later for coal mining. In recent years, it has become known as an affordable place to live with its close proximity to Pittsburgh providing easy access to jobs in the city.
Politically, Mc Kees Rocks leans Democratic with most residents supporting progressive policies such as universal healthcare and higher taxes on corporations. The economy in Mc Kees Rocks is mainly driven by small businesses that provide services for local residents including restaurants, retail stores, auto repair shops, and more.
Mc Kees Rocks’ school district consists of four elementary schools, one middle school and one high school which serves students from grades kindergarten through twelfth grade. Many students also attend Montour High School located just outside town or private schools such as Stowe Catholic Elementary School or Central Catholic High School in nearby Pittsburgh neighborhoods.
Finally, some notable landmarks in Mc Kee’s Rocks include the Ohio River Trail which provides pedestrians easy access to downtown Pittsburgh; McKee’s Rock Bridge which connects McKee’s Rocks with Stowe Township; Tomlinson Run State Park which offers outdoor activities such as fishing and hiking; Jozef Wozniak Park which features a playground; and Lower Level Park which features basketball courts and picnic areas among other amenities.
Population: 6,622. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,201 (-6.4% change)
Males: 3,120 (47.1%), Females: 3,502 (52.9%)
Median resident age: 38.3 years
Median household income: $22,278
Median house value: $40,600
Races in McKees Rocks:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.2%)
- Black (14.1%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (25.7%), Irish (18.9%), Italian (16.4%), Polish (12.1%), Slovak (7.1%), Ukrainian (6.0%).
Elevation: 750 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Mc Kees Rocks, Pennsylvania is a borough in Allegheny County with a population of 6,104 as of the 2020 census. It is located on the Ohio River about 6 miles northwest of downtown Pittsburgh. The borough has a total area of 1.6 square miles and is home to numerous businesses and industries including manufacturing, retail, and health care. The population is mostly white (84.9%), followed by African American (12%) and Hispanic/Latino (2%). The median age in the borough is 40 years old and the median household income is $37,500. The poverty rate in Mc Kees Rocks stands at 18%. Education levels are slightly above average with 85% of adults having graduated high school or higher and 18% having obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher.
McKees Rocks has seen steady growth over the past few decades due to its close proximity to Pittsburgh and its affordable housing prices relative to other nearby communities. The population has grown from 4,563 in 2000 to 6,104 in 2020 which represents an increase of 33%. This growth can be attributed to several factors such as young adults moving into the area for employment opportunities, retirees relocating for more affordable living costs, and families looking for more affordable housing options than what’s available in Pittsburgh itself. In addition to these factors, McKees Rocks also offers easy access to public transportation services such as PAT buses which provide connections throughout Allegheny County.
For population 25 years and over in McKees Rocks
- High school or higher: 73.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in McKees Rocks borough
- Never married: 37.5%
- Now married: 32.0%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 13.9%
- Divorced: 13.8%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -1,235 (-15.7%).
Hospital/medical center in McKees Rocks:
- OHIO VALLEY GENL HOSP (100 HECKEL RD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near McKees Rocks:
- SUBURBAN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA)
- ALLEGHENY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA)
- MERCY PROVIDENCE HOSPITAL, INC (about 4 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to McKees Rocks:
- PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL (about 11 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: PIT)
- ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 14 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: AGC)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 48 miles; LATROBE, PA; Abbreviation: LBE)
Other public-use airports nearest to McKees Rocks:
- LAKEHILL (about 17 miles; MARS, PA; Abbreviation: P09)
- FINLEYVILLE AIRPARK (about 17 miles; FINLEYVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: G05)
- ROCK (about 20 miles; TARENTUM, PA; Abbreviation: 9G1)
Amtrak station near McKees Rocks:
- 6 miles: PITTSBURGH (1100 LIBERTY AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in McKees Rocks:
- OHIO VALLEY HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING (Full-time enrollment: 15; Location: 25 HECKEL RD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to McKees Rocks:
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 3 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 9,058)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-MAIN CAMPUS (about 4 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 22,930)
- DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,199)
- POINT PARK COLLEGE (about 6 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- ART INSTITUTE PITTSBURGH (about 7 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,246)
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 7,903)
- ROBERT MORRIS COLLEGE (about 9 miles; MOON TOWNSHIP, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,426)
Public high school in McKees Rocks:
- STO-ROX HS (Students: 473; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in McKees Rocks:
- STO-ROX EL SCH (Students: 561; Grades: 01 – 05)
- STO-ROX MS (Students: 386; Grades: 06 – 08)
- FOSTER KINDERGARTEN CTR (Students: 108; Grades: KG – KG)
Private primary/middle school in McKees Rocks:
- ST JOHN OF GOD SCHOOL (Students: 91; Location: 115 MARGARET ST; Grades: PK – 8)