Moscow Energy Institute – MEI (Russian: Московский энергетический институт – МЭИ, international: Moscow Power Engineering Institute – MPEI) – The MEI National Research University is a Russian university and one of the largest centers in the world in the fields of energy, electrotechnical, radio technical, electronics and computer technology.
Created in 1930, it has 12 institutes, 70 chairs, 176 research laboratories, an experimental factory, a telecentre, the largest technical library in the USSR, the “Enérgia” stadium and a palace of culture.
The total academic area is 262450 m². The educational buildings are located in the Lefórtovo region in Moscow. Student hostels, medical and prophylactic point, canteens and cafes are distributed in the student town located on Energueticheskaya, Lapina, Energueticheski Proyezd, Piervaya Sinichkina streets.
The total capacity of students reaches 15,000 with an annual acceptance of 3,000 people. The teaching staff includes 1,560 people, of which 17% hold the title of Doctor of Science and Professor and 56% doctoral candidates. By 2014, its faculty comprised 10 academics and correspondent members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 359 doctors of technical sciences and professors, and 1,024 doctoral applicants.
The institute publishes its own newspaper named “Energetik”
More than 200,000 specialists in different branches of science and technology have graduated from the MEI.
Since 1905 at the MGTU the Electrotechnical Chair was created and by 1918 this specialty was converted into a faculty.
Planned economic development in the 1920s was based on a comprehensive electrification program for the country. According to Lenin :
“Communism is the power plus the electrification of the entire country, since the industry cannot develop without electrification.” 
Consequently with this postulate but Lenin named the general electrification as the second program of the party. A commission was quickly created in charge of developing the plan commonly known as “GOELRO” from the acronym of “State Commission for the Electrification of Russia”. For this purpose, it was necessary to have a wide portfolio of specialists in automation, telemechanics, electronics, radio technology, strongly linked to the technological advances of the moment.
In November 1929, the Plenary of the Central Committee of the Union Communist Party (TsK VKP) approved the creation of higher education teaching centers capable of preparing specialists for the different branches of the national economy, including energy.
The MEI arises from the unification in 1930 of the electrotechnical faculties of the MGTU Bauman and the electro-industrial faculties of the Moscow Institute of Economics GV Plejanov (INJ) with a view to increasing the number of electro-energy engineers in the country. And for the 4 of November of 1927 it appears the first issue of the newspaper “Proletari na uchobie” (Proletariat studying), that from 1937 would be renamed “Energetik”.
Among the founders of MEI, professors KA Krug, LI Sirotinski and BI Ugrimov stand out, all of whom participated in the creation of the “GOELRO” plan.
The 20 of March of 1930 the Supreme Council of National Economy of the USSR (VSNKh SSSP) issued Order No. 1053 according to which the electrotechnical and Electroindustrial powers of the were unified MGTU and INJ in one higher education center that received the name “Moscow Energy Institute”.
In the first years the new institute experienced intense growth and by 1932 it had six faculties that defined the new structure of the center: Electroenergetics (EEF), Thermotechnics (TTF), Construction of Electrical Machinery (EMAC), Electric Transportation (ETF), Electrical Links (ESF) and Engineering Economics (IEF).
The main quarry of students was contributed by the party. In 1928 the Central Committee of the Party sent to study the first 1000 militants in a process known as the “Tycyachnikovs”. In most cases there are people over 30 years old, with families, who finished the workers’ faculty through the partisan system and were sent to study.
In 1934 the main building of the MEI on Krasnokazarmennaya Street and the first dormitories for students in the Lefórtovo area were completed.
Starting in 1935, the night classes system began with the creation of the night faculty in the Electrical Equipment of Industry specialty. In 1938 the Radio Technical Faculty (RTF) was created.
At the end of this decade the institute was renamed VM Molotov.
In 1940 and as a result of its “successes in training highly qualified scientists and engineers” the institute received the Order of Lenin.
The 27 of June of 1941 the first group of collaborators and students of the institute went to the front. Shortly after, another large detachment joined the ranks of the popular militias. After the exams of that year, a group of more than a thousand students of the lower courses for three months worked in the fortifications of the city of Moscow, in the area of Vyazma. An important part of these students joined the popular militias on a voluntary basis. In the fall of 41 at the institute courses were prepared for nurses.
Given the proximity of the Germans, it was decided to interrupt teaching in Moscow. The 21 of November of 1941 classes three faculties moved to Leninogorsk, where they continued from December. Between 1942 and the beginning of 1943, 600 students distributed in the buildings of the Mining-Metallurgical Institute of this city would study there.
In February 1942, classes were reestablished in Moscow. As director was appointed GI Fomichev. Between 1942 and 1943, 753 students would be trained here in two faculties: Energetics and Electrotechnics. At the end of 1942, when it was considered that the front had moved far enough, it was decided to return the departments that had been evacuated to Moscow. The 5 of January of 1943 in a special train Leninogorsk return of students and teachers with all the technical stuff and library evacuated. It was approved to receive 1,200 new freshmen students.
The main MEI building was moved to 13 Krasnokazarmennaya Street, near the institute’s laboratory block. This building lacked stairs, with a circular operating elevator system that ran through its eight floors. In 1945 the construction of the central teaching building (architect: DN Chechulin) was completed and 10 buildings on Lefortovski Val street were handed over to the MEI to be used primarily as dormitories.
This rapid growth is explainable if one takes into account that the rest of the country’s energy institutes (those of Leningrad, Kiev, Kharkov, Lvov ) were located in the occupied zone or very close to the fronts.
In 1951 the Thermoelectric Laboratory of the Institute was inaugurated. Wide staircases were built in the main building and sculptures by Stalin and Molotov were installed in the lobby. After the death of Stalin and as a consequence of the process of eliminating the cult of personality, a large head of Lenin was installed there.
In 1953 the Special Works Sector of the MEI was created, which from 1958 was renamed OKB MEI, with the aim of participating in the development of works related to the reactive and rocket technology. It was originally led by academic VA Kotielnikov and after his retirement by A F. Bogomolov. The OKB MEI received for its work a large territory in the Moscow suburbs, near the Dolgoe Ledovo village. The cosmic link earth station “Miedviezhi Ozera” (Bears Side) was created there, in which radio-telescopes with antennas equipped with mobile mirrors (the largest of 64 meters) were installed, with modern communications equipment and data processing systems. information, computing center and international communication lines. In this center it allowed the reception of scientific information from the interplanetary spacecraft “Venera-15”, “Venera-16”, “Vega”, “Phobos”, among others. Student internships were developed at the OKB MEI.
In 1955 the first book “50 years of the Order of Lenin Energetic Institute VM Molotov 1905-1955” was published on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the institute’s activity. It can be seen that the inauguration date of the Cátredra Electrotécnica at the MGTU was considered as the starting date of the activities and not the date of creation of the institute.
The student sports camp was built in the Moscow suburb, near Firsanovska village.
In 1952 the construction of the educational building D and the sports building was completed. In 1954 the House of Culture of the MEI was inaugurated, a student dining room for 400 people and an indoor swimming pool.
In 1958 the Calculation Center was created.
In 1959 on the shores of the Black Sea the student rest camp “Alushta” was built, located near the city of the same name.
In the 1950s the MEI received foreign students from China, Hungary, North Korea and Romania. To a lesser extent from some other countries of the socialist camp.
In the administrative building No.14B in 1961 the Smolensk and Volzhski subsidiaries were created and in 1968 the branch in Kazan was opened.
In the student city a monument is unveiled to the students, professors and collaborators of the MEI, who gave their lives for the Homeland during the Second World War.
The MEI rest camp is built in the Crimea, near the city of Alushta.
An automated cafe is installed in the central teaching building.
The MEI television center is created. The student auditoriums are equipped with televisions for the demonstration of experiments and teaching materials. The telecentre develops teaching activities with students from the radio technical faculty. The institute’s computing center is equipped with the best Soviet-made computer, the BESM-6.
The MEI is granted the possibility of evaluating doctoral thesis or aspirantura.
In 1966 the institute passed under the subordination of the Ministry of Special Middle and Higher Professional Education of the USSR, becoming a reference center in relation to higher education. In the next 8 years, 176 textbooks, 17 monographs and 1,400 student notebooks written by MEI teachers and pedagogues were published.
In 1967 the museum of the history of the MEI is created
In 1969, the preparatory department was opened, allowing access to the institute for workers and young peasants to be facilitated.
The MEI in the 70s presented with 9 faculties:
- Electrification and automation of transport and industry
- Construction of electrical machinery
- Industrial thermoenergetics
- Automatic and calculation technique
- Electronic technique
The new library building on Kaznokazarmennaya Street is completed.
The student labor brigades of the MEI work on the construction of the Gagarin city and the Sayan-Shushenski hydroelectric station. Construction works are also being carried out in Baikal and the Far East .
In 1976 the decimal faculty – Energetic Physics (EFF) was created. In this same year the book of the 50 years of the MEI was reissued.
In the 70s annually the MEI had 25 thousand students and 1800 professors, among them important Soviet academics and scientists. More than 50 compendiums of scientific papers were issued each year.
By 1975, the MEI publishing house prepared and published 708 textbooks and monographs and the Council of Veterans of the War was created.
The Atomic Machinery Building Faculty opens. The MEI Graduate Club is created. The club organizes meetings of the graduates of the university, writes about the facts and the personnel of the institute.
The institute organizes the specialist training center system in the graduate program. Students can also continue their preparation in the candidacy or the doctorate.
In 1984 the MEI Deltaplanerism Club was created. The club’s flight base is located at the Korobcheyevo airfield in the Kolomenskaya region of the Moscow district. The competitions are held annually on the Klementiev mountain in Crimea.
In 1982 the construction of an accommodation building for students and applicants was completed on 1st Sinichkina Street, Edif. 3 Corps 1A.
In 1992 the MEI received the title of Technical University. From this moment its official name becomes Moscow Energy Institute (Technical University).
The 1 as maypole as 1993 is created tourist club “Gorizont”
The Kazan city affiliate becomes independent, becoming the Kazan State Energy University (KGEU)
In 1995 the Volzhski subsidiary was opened in the Volgograd region.
Intensive work is being done on the modernization of the MEI’s technical-material base. The scientific – research center “Iznosostoikost” – gigantic experimental polygon is created on the territory of the MEI experimental factory.
As of 2002 the official name of the institute is changed to “Moscow State Institute of Professional Higher Education Energy Institute” and maintains its status as a technical university.
In the MEI there are 9 institutes, 2 subsidiaries, three applied faculties and more than 40 training centers. Paid education is introduced. Students receive social stipends. The best students receive differentiated stipends, including those sponsored by the MEI Alumni Club. The military chair of the institute is closed.
The scientific-preparatory center “Nanotexnologi” was created. This facility carries out the practical preparation of students and develops scientific research in the fields of nanotechnology for energy, medicine and electronics.
Beginning in 2003, student work was reestablished in student labor brigades in Ivanono, Krasnodar and different works in the Moscow suburbs.
In the first decade of the new century, 4,000 disciplines are studied at the MEI, of which about 50 are carried out remotely.
As of 2011 the MEI is officially named “State Budgeted Educational Institution of Professional Higher Education – Moscow Energy Institute (Technical University)” and shortly after, on July 22 of that year again renamed to “State Budgeted Educational Institution of Higher Education Professional – MEI National Research University ”(NIU MEI). This appointment represents the significant role of the MEI in the fields of energy effectiveness, atomic and heat energy, ecology and energy security. Within the framework of government support, the NIU MEI has been assigned for the period 2010 – 2015 the figure of 1.7 billion rubles for the development of infrastructure and its information resources  .
The 26 of September of 2010 in the village Prudki Safonovskaya region, district Smolensk, a plaque was unveiled to commemorate the MEI students who participated in the construction of defensive works around Moscow in 1941.
Preparation to open a MEI branch in Tajikistan is underway.
The preparation of the student body takes place in day and night courses.
Preparation of foreigners
Starting in 1950, the MEI began to receive foreign students without entrance exams. With the aim of bringing their level of preparation closer to that of national students, the preparatory courses were created. In these courses the foreigners studied Russian language and leveling subjects.
During the entire study period, foreign students kept studying the Russian language. The development of the main study plans were developed by individual plans. Great attention was paid to training in Marxist-Leninist theory.
In the MEI students from 66 countries of the world were prepared, including Cuba. Graduates had the possibility to continue their improvement in the graduate school (FPKP) and receive internships of 10 months.
The MEI faculties were transformed into institutes:
The MEI is made up of the following institutes:
- Institute of Automation and Calculation Technique (AVTI);
- Institute of Thermal and Nuclear Energy (ITAE, formerly ITTF);
- Institute of Energy Efficiency Problems (IPEEF);
- Institute of Radiotechnics and Electronics (IRE);
- Institute of Electrotechnics (IET);
- Institute of Electro energetics (IRR);
- Energy and Mechanical Machinery Construction Institute (EnMI);
- Institute of Applied Humanities (GPI);
- Business Security Institute (IBB);
- Institute of Business and Economics in Energy and Industry (IMEEP);
- Preparation center “Institute of Economic and Informational Security (TsP IIRB);
- Preparation Center “Russian-German Institute of Business and Industrial Automation MEI-FESTO” (TsP MEI-FESTO)
- College of Pre-University Preparation (FDP);
- Smolensk subsidiary – Opened in 1961. Postgraduate courses, aspirants. 3 faculties. It prepares about 3000 students.
- Volzhski Branch ( Volgograd Region ) – Opened in 1995. 1 faculty and 6 specialties. It prepares about 800 students.
Other facilities of the MEI
- Technical library – the largest in the country with more than 2,000,000 books;
- Student dormitory capacity for 5,000 people;
- Polyclinic with ambulance station, consultations, computerized diagnostic center and a sanatorium for 120 places;
- Sports complex with the “Enérgia” stadium, indoor rooms for gymnastics and training of different activities, swimming pool, tennis courts;
- House of culture with different rooms, cinema-theater (DK MEI).
- Recreational bases for students: “Alushta” camp in Crimea and “Energetic” camp in the Moscow suburbs;
- Thermoelectric MEI (TETs MEI);
- Dining rooms, cafes and other facilities for students.
- MEI editor that publishes teacher and student work, study guides, notebooks.
- MEI Typographic – Print the works of the institute.
- Cosmic link earth station “Miedviezhi Ozera” (OKB MEI)
- Experimental factory (OPZ MEI)
- MEI Technical Repair Center (MEI PTTs)
- Schneider Electric;
- LG Electronics Inc.;
- ООО Siemens;
- Institute of Electronics of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences ;
- Institute of Cosmic Research of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences ;
- Chinese “Great Wall” Industrial Corporation;
- Matn International Co. of Iran ;
- Mogola Energy Teachers and Engineers Association;
- Nepalese-Russian Friendship Association;
- Korean Institute of Electronic Technology;
- Shanghai Transmission Line Institute
- Egypt-Russian University;
The MEI participates in the international programs: TACIS, COPERNICUS and INTAS. He is an active member of the International Association of Universities.
- Main teaching building, auditorium and museum – Krasnonazarmennaya Street, Building 17. Completed in 1944. Work of the architect DN Chechulin.
- Administrative Building and OKB MEI – Krasnonazarmennaya Street, Building 14. In this building between 1941 and 1944 the staff of the guerrilla movement of the Great Patriotic War of the USSR was located ;
- Laboratory and teaching building – Krasnonazarmennaya Street, Building 14. Building from the 30s. Architects LM Meilman and G. Ya. Movchan. It stands out for its central circular module in which uninterrupted trunk lifts are located instead of stairs. During the war a hospital was located here.
- MEI Library and Student Building: Krasnonazarmennaya Street, Edif. 13a.
- Palace of Culture of the MEI – Energueticheski Proyezd. Building 9 Body 3.
- Sanatorium – Profiláctorio – Energueticheski Proyezd. Building 8 Body 3.
- MEI Polyclinic – Lefortovski Building 7. First floor.
- MEI dormitories (7 buildings for 3000 students) – Energueticheskaya Street. Edif. 6, 10, 12, 14, 18. Lefortovski Val Edif. 7/6 and First Sinichkina.
- MEI – Crimea Rest Camp, Alushta, Km 15 from Sudakskovo Shossé.
- MEI Sports Camp – Moscow District, Solniechnogorski Region, Firsanovska Village.
- Rest camp “Energetic”: Moscow District, Solniechnogorski Region, rest village “Energetic”.
- “Enérgia” Stadium – 2nd Krasnokursantski Proyezd, Building 12.
Directors and Rectors of the MEI
- Since March 13, 2013 – ND Rogaliev;
- June 2005 – March 13, 2013 – SV Serebryannikov;
- Of April 20 of 1990 – June of 2005 – Ye V. Ametistov;
- As April October as 1985 – 16 April as as 1990 – IN Orlov;
- As February 17 as 1976 – 6 as February as 1985 – VA Grigoriev;
- As April 4 as 1952 – 16 February as as 1976 – MG Chilikin;
- As June 3 as 1943 – 4 as January as 1952 – VA Golubtsov;
- 1941 – 1942 – GP Petrov;
- 1937 – October 15, 1941 – II Dudkin;
Orders and Decorations
- Order of Lenin ( 1940 )
- Order of the October Revolution ( 1980 )
In 2014, the international agency Expert PA assigned the institute category B in recognition of the high degree of preparation of its graduates.
The MEI is qualified to award the following degrees with certified diplomas in the Russian Federation :
- Bachelor of Science (4-year course)
- Certified specialist (Engineer, graduate, etc.) (1.5 years after the Bachelor’s degree)
- Master of Science (2 years after the Bachelor’s degree)
- Doctor of Philosophy (in technical, physical, mathematical and economic specialties) (3 years)
- Doctor of Science (in technical, physical, mathematical and economic specialties) (3 years)