Traveling to Canada – Entry Requirements

Traveling to Canada – Entry Requirements

Changed travel regulations during and after the corona pandemic

According to Best-medical-schools, there is currently an entry ban for Canada. This does not apply to Canadian nationals and persons with permanent residence status (including a valid confirmation of the right of permanent residence issued on or before March 18, 2020) and their immediate family members (spouses, life partners, parents and children) who are family members Experience has shown that the relationship must be proven by means of meaningful documents when boarding a flight to Canada.

The Canadian government provides an overview of, among other things, whether and under what conditions it is possible for family members to enter the country for visiting purposes. People who enter the country for the purpose of employment or study with a valid work or study permit are also exempt from the entry ban. You can check on this website whether it is possible to enter Canada in individual cases. The German diplomatic missions in Canada have no influence on the entry decisions of the Canadian authorities.

All travelers over five years of age, regardless of their nationality, must present a negative PCR test result to the airline concerned or, if arriving by land, the border official, which is no older than 72 hours before the planned departure (or if entering by land before the expected entry). Travelers who have a positive test result from which the sample was taken between 14 and 90 days prior to entry also meet the test requirements prior to entry.

All travelers must also undergo a PCR test when arriving at the respective international airport or when arriving by land at the border crossing. They then usually have to go to a hotel approved by the Canadian government for three days or until the test result is available. The remainder of the 14-day quarantine must be spent at the travel destination, even if the PCR test result is negative again. Towards the end of the quarantine, all travelers are required to perform a rapid self-test of COVID-19 provided by the Canadian government.

With effect from July 6, 2021, the first phase of planned facilitation for the entry of fully vaccinated travelers came into force. The regulations provide for the elimination of the quarantine obligation applicable at the federal level, including the three-day hotel quarantine that was previously mandatory. The Canadian government advises travelers to find out more about different regulations in the respective provinces. Travelers must provide proof of vaccination in paper or digital form in English or French or an official translation.

Fully vaccinated people are exempt from the requirement for another COVID-19 test on the eighth day after entry. The new regulations only apply to people who have received the last required dose of a vaccine or a combination of a vaccine recognized by the Canadian government no later than 14 days before entering Canada. All travelers are still subject to the applicable entry restrictions as well as the double test requirement – before and upon entry.

Failure to comply can result in fines and imprisonment. The Government of Canada has extensive information on travel restrictions, exceptions and notices of conduct.

Before entering the country, all entrants must register via the ArriveCAN app and provide precise contact information for their mandatory 14-day quarantine plan on or before entry. Use of the app is binding. Canadian authorities are monitoring compliance with quarantine regulations.

Source: Federal Foreign Office on July 24th, 2021

General provisions for travel and residence (until the corona pandemic)

Holiday / tourist visa or electronic entry permit eTA

Canada’s visitors with a nationality from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, France and other EU countries are allowed to enter, to a stay of 6 months, no visa but only a valid passport (of the for the duration Residence in Canada) as well as an electronic entry permit (eTA, if entering by air), which can be applied for online. The application must be made before the start of the flight. Information on eTA, application forms and FAQ on the Government of Canada website.

In the course of the electronic application, a fee of 7 CAD has to be paid. The entry permit is issued for five years and is linked to the applicant’s travel document. If a new passport is issued within the validity period, the eTA procedure must be carried out again. Travelers who have multiple passports may have to apply for a separate eTA for each passport (multiple eTAs can be issued, even if they overlap). You can apply for your personal eTA on the Government of Canada official website here.

German citizens who are in possession of a valid visa / residence permit for Canada (entry visa, study / work visa, temporary residence permit, permanent residence permit, diplomatic / consular acceptance etc.) do not need an eTA to enter the country. Even those who enter by land or sea, e.g. via the USA, do not need an eTA.

An entry without a visa is valid under the following conditions not:

  • if a start is planned
  • if the stay lasts longer than six months
  • if entry has been refused before
  • if a visa application has already been rejected

In these cases, a visa corresponding to the purpose must be applied for.

If you want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, you need a visa or an extension. Visitors from other countries require a Temporary Resident Visa. Visit for a full list of countries that require a visa to enter Canada.

Please note that you have to meet other requirements to enter the country. These are checked by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to greet them at the airport in Canada through questions. These include: what you intend to do in Canada, how long you will stay, where you will stay (hotel or friends, etc.) and above all, whether you have enough money for it. If doubts arise during the questioning, the procedure can in individual cases extend over several hours due to further investigations by the immigration authorities. The Canadian authorities are particularly strict when it comes to the presumption of employment.

You also need to be healthy. If there is a reason that you cannot be allowed to enter for health reasons, you may need to undergo a medical examination. The stamp in your passport will tell you the exact length of your stay in Canada.

If the purpose or the duration of your stay changes after your entry, you can change your stay. The application for this must be submitted at least 30 days before the scheduled end of the stay.

For children under the age of 18, you should have a valid passport with you. If you are traveling with a child of whom you are not a parent or guardian or the other parent is not traveling with you, you need a letter from the (other) legal guardian that you are authorized to enter the country with the child.

For applicants with physical or mental disabilities, the entry permit can be obtained by a representative in an alternative way. Travelers should note that an issued permit does not entitle them to enter Canada. The final decision remains with the Canadian border personnel in charge.

Traveling to Canada

Comments are closed.