University of Dresden
According to BRIDGAT.XYZ, University of Dresden is the largest Technical University in Germany and also one of the oldest, as it was founded in 1828. It is located in the region of Saxony, in its capital, Dresden. It has a very varied offer of degrees and is within the group of the nine most important technical schools and with 126 careers, it is one of the widest offers in Germany.
Originally known as Königlich-Technische Bildungsanstalt Sachsen, the now-known University of Dresden was founded in 1828 to train qualified people demanded by growing industrialization in technical disciplines such as mechanics, machine building and shipbuilding. 1871 is considered the founding year of the Technische Universität. Together with other German-speaking technical universities, final year projects were carried out for the first time in 1883 as the end of the studies and their defense.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the Technische Hochschule needed more space, it started the construction of the campus area (which is what we know today) in Südvorstadt and Räcknitz. Many buildings in the core of the campus were built according to the plans of Karl Weißbach, who himself taught at the TH, emphasizing above all the use of clinker with stoneware and Historicist Architecture. The most characteristic buildings on campus are the observatory building located on Zellescher Weg (today known as Beyer-Bau) and the Hauptkollegiengebäude (currently called Zeuner-Bau).
At the time of the 2nd world war and during the bombing of Dresden, parts of the campus were destroyed. The reconstruction after the Second World War in 1945 began with the installation of the Faculty of Pedagogy and Municipal Economy under the direction of the mechanical expert Enno Heidebroek. A Faculty of Workers and Peasants also existed temporarily at the Technische Hochschule.
In 1961, following a decision of the GDR government, the University was renamed to the current Technische Universität Dresden (in Latin, Universitas litterarum et technicarum Dresdensis). At that time, there were eight faculties with approximately 10,000 students. Similarly, at that time the attempt to develop prototypes of Flugzeug 152 aircraft (project EF 152 of the defunct Junkers) in Dresden for aircraft construction in the GDR fell on deaf ears. With the cancellation of the project in the late 1950s, the program’s lead engineer, Brunolf Baade, was able to continue as director of the Institute for Lightweight Construction at the Technische Hochschule.
Since the mid-1990s, a large number of new institutes and auditoriums have been built and many others have been renovated. In this way, with the expansion of the campus to the south and east, it was possible to teach, already in the year 2000, the most modern research specialties in the Faculty of Computer Science and in the Institute of Natural Sciences ( Chemistry and Biology ).. In 2003 the new main building of the Sächsischen Landes- und Universitätsbibliothek (SLUB) was opened on the campus. At the same time, the founding of the Dresden International University (DIU), the private sister university of the TUD, also took place the 175th anniversary of the university.
The University campus is, with few exceptions, within the perimeter of the city of Dresden. The main campus is located south of the center between Nöthnitzer Straße, Fritz-Foerster-Platz and Münchner Platz. The Faculty of Medicine (Fetscherstraße) is located in the district of Johannstadt. An even larger location of TU Dresden is situated in the Strehlen area between Weberplatz and Wasaplatz. Here are mainly the Faculty of Philosophy and the Faculty of Education. On the outskirts of Dresden there is also the Institute for Waste and Landfill Management (Department of Geography, Forestry and Hydrology) in Pirna-Copitz.
TU Dresden has numerous contacts with research institutions outside the university and the economy. TU Dresden students can benefit from this living and sustainable network from the very first days of their studies. Students and future scientists are integrated early into large research projects that TU Dresden works on together with its research partners.
Since the winter semester of 2006/07, the Faculty of Informatics uses a new building next to Nöthnitzer Straße, in the main area of the campus. The old building in Johannstadt will in future be used for the Berufsakademie Dresden. Under the framework of a German-wide selection, known as the Excellence Initiative, TU Dresden was established as one of the strongest universities in the field of research. TU Dresden was granted a research network and a graduate school and with that received millions of euros in additional funding. The success of the TU Dresden is based on the following points: Excellence, Interdisciplinarity, internationality, a strong link between basic scientific research and practical research as well as the focus on selected specific points of research.
The structure is organized into the following Faculties:
- Faculty of Informatics
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Transport Sciences “Friedrich List”,
- Faculty of Forestry, Geographyand Hydrology
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Linguistics, Literatureand Culture
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Medicine “Carl Gustav Carus”
- The University has a supercomputer that belongs to the group of the 100 fastest computers in the world and can process 11.5 billion Floating Point Operations per Second. This infrastructure allows research and progress in topics such as Grid computing, programming methods, optimization methods and mathematical algorithms, as well as for the analysis of biological processes.
- Research at the highest level is one of its priorities, which is why it is part of what is popularly known as an elite university.
- The Audi automobile brand has reached a strategic agreement with the Technical University of Dresden(Germany), with the aim of promoting the joint development of technical innovations in the field of lightweight construction and manufacturing technologies
- Next to the building complex of the Mathematical Institute (near the SLUB, on Zelleschen Weg) the Zentrum für Informationsdienste und Hochleistungsrechnen (ZIH) was built. The building is especially distinctive because the water-cooled computing power requires a continuous evacuation of water vapor over the roof of the building.