According to 800zipcodes, West Branch, Iowa is located in Cedar County, about 26 miles northwest of Iowa City. It is a small town of about 3,000 people and is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. The climate of the area is generally mild, with hot summers and cold winters.
The city was founded in 1841 by Quakers from North Carolina who were looking for a place to practice their religion without persecution. This Quaker influence has shaped the culture of West Branch to this day, with many buildings and landmarks reflecting the city’s history. The most iconic landmark in West Branch is the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum which houses documents related to the life and presidency of President Herbert Hoover.
Politics in West Branch are largely conservative with most residents leaning towards Republican candidates at the local, state, and national level. The economy of West Branch relies heavily on agriculture as well as small businesses located throughout town.
The schools in West Branch are highly rated with numerous awards for excellence such as being named one of America’s Best Communities for Young People by America’s Promise Alliance in 2011. Education plays a major role in the community with many parents actively involved in their children’s education through volunteer opportunities within the school district.
West Branch is also home to other landmarks such as Stork’s Nest Park which features an old train depot from 1920 that was recently restored and turned into a museum; Grinter House which dates back to 1854; and Oak Hill Cemetery where President Herbert Hoover is buried along with other former presidents like James Garfield, Andrew Johnson, William Henry Harrison, William McKinley, Benjamin Harrison, Chester Arthur, Rutherford B Hayes and more.
Population: 2,188. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,269 (+3.7% change)
Males: 1,039 (47.5%), Females: 1,149 (52.5%)
Zip code: 52358
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $42,500
Median house value: $97,200
Races in West Branch:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.7%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (35.6%), Irish (19.2%), English (12.2%), United States (8.5%), Czech (5.9%), Norwegian (5.1%).
Elevation: 750 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
West Branch, Iowa is situated in Cedar County, Iowa and has a population of about 3,000 people. It is a small city with a rural atmosphere. The majority of the population is white, with African Americans making up less than 2% of the population. The median age in West Branch is 43 years old with 20% of the population being under 18 years old and 14% over 65 years old. The median household income for West Branch is $50,821 and the poverty rate is 8.4%.
The city has a diverse economy with many different industries including manufacturing, retail trade, health care and social assistance, educational services, professional services and construction. There are many small businesses located within West Branch which provide employment opportunities to its citizens. The largest employers in town are Mercy Hospital and the West Branch Community School District. Education also plays an important role in West Branch as there are several public schools as well as private schools offering programs for all ages. The city also boasts several parks and recreational facilities such as hiking trails, swimming pools and golf courses which provide plenty of outdoor activities for residents to enjoy year-round.
For population 25 years and over in West Branch
- High school or higher: 91.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 23.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Branch city
- Never married: 20.7%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 13.3%
2.1% Foreign born (1.0% Asia, 0.4% Europe, 0.4% North America, 0.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +252 (+13.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near West Branch:
- MERCY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; IOWA CITY, IA)
- UNIVERSITY OF IOWA HOSPITAL & CLINIC (about 14 miles; IOWA CITY, IA)
- UNITY HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; MUSCATINE, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Branch:
- THE EASTERN IOWA (about 29 miles; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Abbreviation: CID)
- QUAD CITY INTL (about 61 miles; MOLINE, IL; Abbreviation: MLI)
- SOUTHEAST IOWA REGIONAL (about 65 miles; BURLINGTON, IA; Abbreviation: BRL)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Branch:
- IOWA CITY MUNI (about 14 miles; IOWA CITY, IA; Abbreviation: IOW)
- MATHEWS MEMORIAL (about 15 miles; TIPTON, IA; Abbreviation: 8C4)
- MUSCATINE MUNI (about 26 miles; MUSCATINE, IA; Abbreviation: MUT)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Branch:
- UNIVERSITY OF IOWA (about 14 miles; IOWA CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,766)
- KIRKWOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 52 miles; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Full-time enrollment: 7,991)
- EASTERN IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 55 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,180)
- SAINT AMBROSE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,310)
- AUGUSTANA COLLEGE (about 56 miles; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,220)
- BLACK HAWK COLLEGE (about 60 miles; MOLINE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,891)
- UPPER IOWA UNIVERSITY (about 86 miles; FAYETTE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 3,173)
Public high school in West Branch:
- WEST BRANCH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 249; Location: 900 W MAIN; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in West Branch:
- SCATTERGOOD FRIENDS SCHOOL (Students: 53; Location: 1951 DELTA AVENUE; Grades: 9 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in West Branch:
- HOOVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 346; Location: 148 N OLIPHANT; Grades: PK – 05)
- WEST BRANCH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 195; Location: 225 N MAPLE; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in West Branch:
- WEST BRANCH PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $70,129; Location: 300 N. DOWNEY, P.O.BOX 460; 22,671 books; 496 audio materials; 1,112 video materials; 67 serial subscriptions)